jueves, 16 de diciembre de 2010

"Muy, muy mal hecho": Part one in an occasional series of observations on Spanish public schools

Let's go back in time for a moment to an internet sensation I'm sure we all remember. Circa 2003-2004 a disgruntled computer programmer from the Midwest named Maddox created a very simple website in which he vented his frustrations at the world and proclaimed his manliness to all of internetdom. One of his principle schticks was making fun of children's artwork. Apparently this has spawned its own website. 

For example, on this piece of art, drawn by John, age 8, Maddox wrote: "Ding Ding! Here comes the shit-mobile. I've never seen a fire truck that needed to be shaved. I would rather be burned to death than be saved by this hairy piece of shit."
 

Maddox gave it an F.

Now, I think he had some sort of point. It's a very American thing to coddle your kids and to think that everything they do is absolutely incredible and proof of their genius. The self-esteem philosophy that schools, councilors, daycares, and any table of mothers at a Starbucks espouse states clearly that you cannot, under penalty of your kid feeling like a failure and dropping out of school and ending up as an addict on the streets, criticize their work.

There is a limit. Not everything your kid does is exceptional. You may think it's awesome that they drew a firetruck, so creative, but statistically little John (no relation to L'il Jon) up there is not going to grow up to be the next Picasso. Praising everything a child does condones the idea that they always do incredible things. It breeds mediocrity, and future Arizona State Sun Devils.


But it's understandable that a child does not really have the motor skills to color masterpieces. Or to write perfect cursive. Or to cut a razor sharp line with a pair of safety scissors. Therefore, understandably, most people's reactions to Maddox's website are negative. Why would you make fun of a kid like that? Who would do such a thing?

Who would do such a  thing? The entire staff of the Spanish public school system would. No problem whatsoever in absolutely reaming these kids. Seriously, none.

"Está muy mal hecho! Muy mal! Quién eligiría este color?"
"Has saltado la linea! No se colorea así. Hazlo otra vez!"
"Eso qué es? Ni puedo leerlo. Ni una palabra. Escríbelo bien, anda."

(In front of the whole class, holding up the offending document for all to see, look of desperation.) "Mira lo que ha hecho Javi. Mira. Se colorea así? No. Para nada. Lo ha hecho muy, muy mal."

The kids, however, seem to be totally fine with it. Nobody cries. Nobody tells their mom that the teacher hates their drawing of their dog. They stare earnestly at the teacher for a while and then erase it and do it again, while I pick my jaw up off the floor and think about how many parent-teacher conferences would be required if that were to happen in the US.

For me, I find it hard to yell at them. Twelve years of self-esteem focused public school will do that to ya. Plus the kids are adorable. So cute. And they say funny things. And they think I'm cool (I hope). Thus, I have a hard time getting mad at them when they misbehave. It's like yelling at a room full of puppies. Loud, messy, hysterical puppies.

So last week, in a class of second graders, we were working on some form of coloring/writing worksheet when one of the kids was just scribbling all over the page. This kid, and there are a few in every class, just screws around the whole time. So I, annoyed, grabbed his page and started to yell.

"Eso es lo que he explicado? No. Yo pensaba que ésta es una clase de segundo. Estoy en infantíl? Me he equivocado?"

Suddenly, I realized what I did. I just called this kid out. I gave him back his paper and have spent the last week praising things he does right. Oops. Probably should find the balance between the two extremes. Don´t praise everything, but certainly don´t put on my seño face and scream away. So this entry is for you, Pablo from 2ºA. Color away.

2 comentarios:

  1. hahahahha. How can you not help but yell at these little brats!! Oh whoops....did I say that.

    You are a great person if this is your first slip-up! Today I had a kid squirming on the floor like he was a worm. And then stomping around, slamming the classroom door and yelling obscenities in English!!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Woah woah, that was most definitely not the first time I´ve yelled. Last year in instituto I didn´t hold back. But with the little kids I don´t yell at them because their work isn´t flawless, but I don´t hesitate to yell if they are throwing things/running/talking all the time forever/sharpening crayons every three seconds/screaming/ getting up to chat straight up in the middle of me talking, etc. etc. Mostly I like to scream at them in English, because then they just look really confused. Buys me about 4 seconds of quiet time.

    ResponderEliminar