jueves, 2 de diciembre de 2010

Giving this a whirl

Hello, my name is Claire, and I have a bad memory.

There, I said it. But when I say bad memory, I mean like, horrible.

Car keys, birthdays, where I left my hairbrush (hint: it´s usually in the kitchen where I leave it when I make coffee), turning electronics off, phone numbers, things I need to get at the grocery store, important tidbits of conversation, for Christ´s sake people´s names. It gets embarrassing, people think I´m mean or slow, I´m actually just really forgetful.

Thus, my reason for attempting this new blogging thing. The truth is I like blogs, other people´s blogs. They are interesting, they provide witty commentary and observations, and, perhaps most of all, the people who create them are not going to be 90 years old and have no idea what they did when they were in their 20´s.

(I´m in a rocking chair. I´m watching Matlock. I´m wondering what the hell I did when I was in my 20´s. My grandkids are not interested because I have no photos to show them of when I was young and did cool things. Not what I want.)

So I am going to make a very valiant effort to keep a blog, keep it updated, keep it orderly, and add some photos.

What I cannot do is go back and make a million entries for the things I´ve already done. This is, due to circumstances, going to be mostly a travel blog. Those circumstances being that I currently live in Málaga, Spain, in my second year of a teaching English abroad gig I got out of college. So I´ll boil it down and recap the past few years.

I was born in New Hampshire, moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, moved to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, spent 6 months on sabbatical in Melbourne, Australia, went back to Pittsburgh and finished high school, moved to Tucson for University, studied journalism and Latin American studies, my parents moved to Gainesville, Florida, and when I graduated I had a job teaching English as an auxiliar de conversación (more on my "job" later...) and am entering my second year here in Málaga, in Andalucía. This summer I was in Istanbul, Turkey, as an English teacher for a family there, and next year, hmmm. Not quite there yet.

I like traveling, cooking and eating good food and then having someone else wash the dishes, playing soccer, and reading. I am learning Spanish and French, have been taking flamenco dance lessons for a few years, and work in an elementary school in Benalmádena Pueblo. That, and I am now a blogger.

So this entry, my first entry in my blog, I dedicate to you, 90-year-old Claire. I hope you remember the good times.

Morocco, 2010. This was one of those good times you ought to remember



1 comentario:

  1. I know you were being humorous and this is probably going to come out demasiado serio but anyway I have a 90-year old grandmother with Alzheimer's. Your post made me think about how wonderful it would be if she did have a record of her life. She wouldn't remember from one reading to the next, but for brief moments it might help restore her sense of self. And, thinking about how she does not have that, I am now sad. It makes me think of writing one of my own, but for the moment I still fall solidly in the "intrigued, but way too lazy" category of the population. Thus I'd like to salute your efforts and give a shout out to 90-year-old Claire.

    ResponderEliminar